Can you be allergic to Wi-Fi?

It must be a really weird situation you’re in to ask this question. But, since you were wondering…

A woman recently quit her job and moved out of her flat and into a shed because she realized she was allergic to Wi-Fi signals. So was she or was she just a nutjob? Can the small black box under the TV or in the corner of your living room really cause an allergy? Like, can it manifest itself in severe physical symptoms?

The woman in question felt compelled to leave her home after she developed severe headaches, violent shakes and burning rashes because she’s allergic to Wi-Fi. She claims she suffers from what is known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity – an adverse reaction to electromagnetic signals.

To escape the signals, the woman moved into a shed in a friend’s garden. She also suffers from lupus and receives benefits.

Wi-Fi, cell phones, radios and TVs use electromagnetic waves. They are more intense and stronger than other waves because they operate at a higher frequency. People who are “allergic” to these experience severe rashes, violent shakes and headaches.

Quite a number of people, mainly women, experience adverse reactions which they attribute to electromagnetic signals. Whatever the reason, their reactions are real, and Wi-Fi (among other things) really does make their lives hell. In some cases, they become housebound or even take their own lives. Electromagnetic waves aren’t something we can escape.

Other symptoms include shaking, disorientation, sleep disturbance, and burning sensations.

Can this be cured?

People who suffer from “Wi-Fi allergies” resort to wearing shields on their heads and trying to avoid Wi-Fi signals by any means necessary. They move to isolated areas and do not allow Wi-Fi into their homes.

Experts do not believe this condition exists, however. According to the World Health Organization, there is no scientific basis connecting Wi-Fi to the symptoms these people experience.